Re: IRS vs swing

>I learned Swing the first time I took a turn in the 67 Fast on a slick road
>WOOOOAAAA  Swing means the rear SWINGS out!!!  I constantly had to remember I
>wasn't driving my IRS 71!  It couldn't compare to the IRS and was much less of
>a desirable winter car than the IRS ones.

I learned to drive in a swing-axle 1960 Corvair and my 68 type III was as
roadworthy as any of my later IRS VWs.  Of course there is a break loose
point on any road, but I never found the IRS to be better than the swing
axle.  I owned one of each at the same time for about 5 years and never
noticed any difference.  But then I love spinning mine around in parking
lots anyway.

You might find that tires had a lot to do with your experience.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin