Fuel Cut Off Valves

Volks,

I recently had a mishap with my SQBack (the engine mounting bracket snapped
off and the left side of the motor fell onto the road).  The only thing
which was damaged was the fuel cut off valve on the left carb.

My current carbs are Brosol PICT 32's .  I had my old (original) carbs
hanging around which had a differnet kind of valve (or plug) in th same
spot as te fule cut off valve, so I put it in and it seems fine.

My question is, are the cut off valves really necessary?  (Muir refers to
them as another one of those engineering dreams that went wrong), they are
supposed to eliminate running on by instantly cutting off the fuel supply
when the ignition is switched off, but I haven't noticed any difference
with one of them not in place.

TIA
Steve Farmer

Heads Together Systems Pty Ltd
PO Box 461 Rozelle, NSW, 2039
Sydney, Australia

Net: hts@hts.com.au
Tel: 612 9982 6767
Fax: 612 9981 3081
Visit our Web Site at http://www.hts.com.au/~hts

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.