Speedometer repair

Hi everybody....

First of all... I want to thank you all for helping me out to deal with my speedometer.
You've been very helpful.

I have put everything back in place, and everything works properly. Yes... the root
cause was the speedometer cable. It was broken. But the process did affect the
speedometer. When I opened the speedometer assembly, on the input shaft (I refer to
Jim's explanation, thanks) I found that there was a little play on the shaft, so the
magnet can move back and forth a little. I don't know whether this play is normal, but
when I gave a little force while turning the shaft, It did make that strange noise. In
addition, before the speedo cable permanently broke, along with the noise occurance, the
speedo needle didn't move smoothly. I think the magnet touched the cup in its rotation,
due to that play in the input shaft.

Well... that's the summary, correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards
Eko Indarto
64 notchback