Air-adjustable shocks

Everyone,
I spent a few hours in my dad's garage installing air-adjustable shocks in
the back of my baby.  Good God, talk about EASY!  It only takes 15 minutes
to remove the old shock and install the new shock (total time 1/2 hour).
If I didn't have the anti-sway bar in the way the time would have been even
less.  Of course, this doesn't include the time spent putting the rear up
on jack stands (3 minutes) and letting the engine cool down, the underside
dry some from the rain, and catch up on things with Dad (45 minutes).  What
took the longest was routing the tubing (~1 hour, I'm picky) to a suitable
location that is accessible, in my case the angle bracket in the engine
compartment that used to hold the engine diagnostic plug.

The shocks are by Gabrial, I bought them from JC Whitney, and so far the
comfort level is the same as stock shocks, possibly a little more stiffer.
After several days of driving I'll know more.  What's so nice about them is
you can adjust the ride height of your ride!  For those of you who have a
sagging rear end you could install these puppies and restore your ride
height.

For me these are phase one of lowering my rear end.  In a week or two I
should have a pair of adjustable spring plates installed and my ride will
finally be level (and lower).  The air shocks are required (in my eyes) so
I can still load her up without bottoming out...just add air and up goes
the back.  The same goes for those rare times when I have to put chains on
her.  No more worries of whacking the paint off my fenders as the chains
fling up.

Once the spring plates are installed I'll give an update.
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     modified '72 VW Squareback 2.0L
     stock '75 Porsche 914 1.8L