Re: Re[2]: Air-adjustable shocks

In <Mon, 09 Dec 96 14:57:02 PST_9@ccm.hf.intel.com>, on 12/09/96
   at 02:49 PM, Toby Erkson <Toby_Erkson@ccm2.hf.intel.com> said:

>What do you mean by "...break the shock mounts."?  If the rear torsion
>bars  aren't fully gone then the air-shocks will boost up the rear
>without any  undue stress.  However, if you fill the shocks to their
>limit of 200psi you  could be putting stress on the system (shocks,
>mounts, drivetrain,...).  My  shocks are currently at 50psi (25psi is the

Well as I understand it (ho ho ho) the shock mounts are then used to take
some of the weight of the vehicle, instead of the springs.  So then when
you hit a rock/pothole/etc (or jump!) the shock mounts take more load than
they normally would.  What I wanted to find out was whether anyone has had
any experience of pump ups and repeated potholes/bumps/etc when the
suspension goes from "normal" to "high" (no idea what psi, low to normal
should be similar) (concerned about single event and fatigue).  The beetle
(/s?) could well have been past its use by date - and getting treated
harshly.  If the mounts can handle it I might lower mine to "normal"
height and use pump ups for going places I oughtnt

>minimum).  Air-shocks are  (basically) like ordinary shocks and shock
>height will not affect  ground-to-mount clearance.

but they will increase approach and departure angle, body, front beam,
gearbox and motor clearance, and when the rear mounts catch something
you've a hammer and cold chisel ;-)

Andy

Andy Smith              Dont force it...
andys@gil.com.au        Use a bigger hammer!