RE: bad auto trans

Melissa & Jim wrote:

> >Dan Hirth wrote:
> >>
> >> Just a couple of days ago, my auto trans started drifting into neutral
> >> when shifting from 2 to 3.  It wasn't too bad, but just caused a
> >> momentary panick attack.  First thing, checked the fluid - good, but I
> >> topped it off just in case.  That didn't do it.  Next, I check for
> >> vacuum leaks.  there were many possible leaks.  I replaced all vacuum
> >> tubing.  Hopefuly this will do the trick.  The problem seems worse under
> >> heavy acceleration (pulling onto a highway), and was easied by letting
> >> off the gas.
> >>
> >> I'll test it tomorrow, but I had to wait for some RTV (gasket glue) to dry.
> >
> >It worked!  No more hesitation/missing third for about 2-3 secs.

I spoke too soon.  It seems to only get worse once it is heated up.
When it's cold (like the morning I drove to work at 35F and light
traffic) there was no detectable problem.  I know a local mechanic with
a transmission he's willing to part with for $200 including labor and
misc. parts and cleaning. (not including final drive).  It's not
rebuilt, but the xmas budget dictates replacement - the affordable
option.

--
Dan Hirth

Raleigh, North Carolina