Re: Dip-stick; New: Elbow mystery

> The left
>air elbow to the heat exchanger has a 10mm pipe coming out of it,
>pointed up. I can't find another 10mm nipple in the engine compartment
>anywhere, and I can't think of a use for 10mm of cold air, but it
>clearly came from the factory that way. Any ideas what this is so I can
>take off the duct tape and put it to use?

The 10 mm nipple on the left side outputs fresh air to flush the gas vapour
from the evaporative emission charcoal cannister.  This cannister was
located just behind the pressure sensor (to the left of the engine) on
1970s, and relocated above the transmission for all later years.

These cars have a matching inlet on the air cleaner where the vapour-laden
air is suppposed to be pulled into the engine and burned.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin