Re: Dip-stick; New: Elbow mystery

>OK Now for the real answer:
>
>     The rubber grommet is there to hold the dipstick at the right consistant
>level in the oil (remember it enters at an angle) to give accurate readings.
>It should reside at the bottom of the round section just above the full mark.
>
>Keith

That's a good bit of speculation, Keith, but I don't think it's really true.
 If you look at the shape of the bit of plumbing (I'm at a loss as to what
to call it) that the tip of the dipstick ends up in, you will see that it
has a somewhat conical shape that automatically centers the unique Type III
spring-loaded dipstick.  I always felt that the bumper was just there to
prevent its rattling around, but I'm guessing, too.

For those of you that are not old enough to remember, These bumpers were
originally bonded (glued, whatever) in place on the dipstick.  As I recall
they were about 1/4th of the way up from the bottom.  By now they have all
been broken loose by people who were in too much of a hurry to put the
dipstick back in.

It is interesting to note that early Type IIIs came with two of these bumpers.
Can any of the owners of older cars verify this?

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin