Re: Dip-stick; New: Elbow mystery

>Tim Fink=> So, what does the rubber stopper do?  Is there a full mark on
>        => the dip-stick?
>
>Have you tried pulling the stopper up the stick? It sounds a bit like
>it's drifted down and is covering your top mark and "full" label.
>Mine slides up and down the stick easily -- maybe a little too easily.
>
>I've always thought that the purpose of that rubber bit was to keep the
>stick from rattling around in the tube and wearing out. It doesn't seem
>to be tight enough to prevent oil running up the tube under
>acceleration.
>
>Now I've got a question for all you Type III mavens. I've been
>tightening up the air-control systems on my 1600 (stock, dual carbs),
>and I've got one connection that I can't figure out. The left
>air elbow to the heat exchanger has a 10mm pipe coming out of it,
>pointed up. I can't find another 10mm nipple in the engine compartment
>anywhere, and I can't think of a use for 10mm of cold air, but it
>clearly came from the factory that way. Any ideas what this is so I can
>take off the duct tape and put it to use?
>
>Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
>comwest@well.com
>'66 Type 343

I have the black rubber guy on all four of my Type III's.  I agree it is either there for vibration noise control and/or oil sloshing.
Mine reside somewhere in the upper 1/4 of the dipstick.  Try moving it up.

In my '70 Sqback the 10mm pipe out of the elbow to the heat exchanger goes to the charcoal filter that is mounted just above it
on the left side of the engine compartment.  The hose is about 6 inches long.  On my '71 Fastback it connects to a long hose and
goes all the way forward through the tin and attaches to the charcoal filter that is mounted on the firewall in front of the tranny.

Hope this helps.
Craig Woolston
'70 Sqback
'71 Fastback