Re: carbs

$300 ain't bad -- until you add labor!  I fully understand your dilemma.  I'm
not a carb mechanic but I do have a book about carbs so I will do some research
for you.  My first guess would be replace the mechanic.  From what I remember
the 32s will be fine but there is definitely some air/jetting problems.  Running
her lean could burn your intake valves (this is expensive, I know first hand).
Make sure the gaskets between the carbs and manifold aren't leaking for this
will lean the mixture.  One way you'll know this is by hearing a high pitched
whistling that will vary with RPM.

For others out there:  With my experience if you are going to stay with a stock
motor you should stay with the FI.  The frustration that you'll be having with a
non-stock carb setup will make you long for the days of your old FI.  You don't
HAVE to replace everything all at once.  Replace what is critical first then
when you get the cash replace the next item.  This is how I was able to afford
fixing the FI on my 914 (hey, it's all VW but that damn name is what costs!).
And performing all of the work myself, of course.  FI is an external system and
it's fairly easy to work on since none of the components are hidden inside the
engine.  Get a couple of manuals.  Bentley and Haynes tell you how to do it.
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     modified '72 VW Squareback 2.0L
     stock '75 Porsche 914 1.8L